What a mess! The second tragity of hearing loss

Oregon7 oregon7 at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 12:58:29 EST 1997

Paul said:

You do have a chance to test drive the aids you purchase.  All
have a 30 day trial priod in which you can use them and then return them
for a full refund or exchange for a different so you could do this.

End of quote....this is not quite accurate.  Most hearing aid dispensers and
 audiologists may keep a portion of the fee even if you don't like the hearing
 aid and want your money returned at the end of the trial period.  This amount
 probably varies from state to state but here in Oregon it is 20% of the total
 price of the aids, plus you may be billed for the eval if the aud. does not
 bundle the costs.

In one instance I heard about, an individual lost $800 for a pair of custom
 made ITEs which were priced at $4000.

Be careful before you agree to anything!

BTW our office asks for a $200 non refundable fee for fitting or 20% of the
 hearing aid cost, whichever is LESS!

I hope this does not violate the pricing prohibitions on the group.

M Johnson, M.S. CCC-A

P.S. I thought there were only 6000 audiologists in the USA.....