Symposium On The Assessment And Management Of Central Auditory Processing Disorders

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Wed Sep 10 01:53:38 EST 1997

Forwarded from ASHA Listserve

>Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 08:00:17 -0400
>To: asha-aud-forum at lists.ncm.com
>From: Andrew Stuart <slstuart at ecuvm.cis.ecu.edu>
>Subject: Symposium On The Assessment And Management Of Central Auditory
> Processing Disorders
>
>SYMPOSIUM ON THE ASSESSMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF CENTRAL AUDITORY PROCESSING
DISORDERS

>October 17-18, 1997
>Ramada Plaza Hotel, Greenville. North Carolina
>
>Sponsored by Department of Communications Sciences and Disorders,
>East Carolina University
>Co-sponsored by Eastern Area Health Education Center
>
>Overview
>The symposium will focus on the key areas of auditory processing
including: neuroscience foundations, identification and management, as well
as current and future trends. Symposium content will be directed toward
both speech-language pathologists and audiologists.

>Learning Outcomes
>Following the symposium, participants will be able to:
>1.  Describe the functional anatomy of the central nervous system
>2.  Explain the neuroscience view of the auditory processing of speech
>3.  Describe the importance of brain plasticity to auditory training
>4.  Interpret the behavioral and electrophysiological approach to the
assessment of CAP
>5.  Discuss practical approaches to the use of auditory training for CAPD
>6.  Identify the relationships that exist between CAPD and language learning
>7.  Discuss the metalinguistic and cognative strategies in the management
of CAPD

>Credits
>East Carolina University, Department of Communications Sciences and
Disorders (CSDI) is aoproved by the CEB of ASHA to sponsor CE activities in
Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. This program is offered for 1.3
CEU's (Intermediate Level: Professional area). ASHA approval of CE
sponsorship does not imply endorsement of course content, specific
products, or clinical procedures. There will be a $5.00 processing fee to
the ECU Department of CSDI.

>The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, East Carolina
University is approved by the American Academy of Audiology to offer AAA
CEUs for this activity. The program is worth a maximum of 1.3 CEUs. AAA
approval of this continuing education activity does not imply endorsement
of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures.

>Registration Information
>Early Bird Registration (due before September 25th): $225.00
>Registration at the Door: $250.00
>Full Time Students: $35.00
>
>You will be notified ONLY if the course is filled and you cannot be
accommodated. Receipt of registration form and fee will confirm
registration. Please return the completed registration form along with a
check (made payable to Eastern AHEC) to:

>Eastern AHIEC,  P.O. Box 7224, Greenville, NC 27835-7224
>
>Any individual requiring accommodations under ADA or wishing for
additional information should contact the Office of Allied Health
Education, Eastern AHEC at (919) 816-5205, FAX (919) 816-5229, or E-Mai!:
johnson at brody.med.ecu.edu.

>Guest Faculty
>Gail Chermak, PhD, is a Professor of Audiology and Chair of the Department
of Speech and Hearing Services at ~ashington State University. She chaired
the ASHA Ad Hoc Committee on Central Auditory Processing and served as a
member of the ASHA Task Force on Central Auditory Processing Consensus
Development.

>Sandy Friel-Patti, PhD, is an Associate Professor at the University of
Texas at Dallas. Her research interests embrace issues in anguage
development in both typical and atypical groups of children. Research
topics include a longitudina investigation of the effects of early middle
ear disease on developing speech and language, mother-child discourse, and
play interactions of preschool children.

>James F. Jerger, PhD, is a Research Scientist at the University of Texas
at Dallas and formerly Professor and Head, Division of Audiology and Speech
Pathology, at Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Medical Center. He has
devoted much of his professional career to the study of auditory perceptual
disorder. His recent interest has focused on the topographic brain mapping
of auditory evoked potentials, especially even-related potentials.

>Frank E. Musiek, PhD, is a Professor of otolaryngology in the Department
of Surgery, as well as, Professor of Neurology in the Department of
Medicine at Dartmouth Medical School. Dr. Musiek is also Director of
Audiology at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH.

>Dennis P. Phillips, PhD, is a Professor in the Department of Psychology at
Dalhousie University, HaIifax, NS, Canada.  An auditory neuroscientist, Dr.
Phillips has strong interest in brain encodes auditory information and in
the perceptual difficulties that occur following cochlear and brain injury.

>Christine Sloan, PhD, SLP(C), is a Speech~Language Pathologist in the
Annapolis Valley Regional School Board, Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada. She
has a long standing interest in the area of auditory processing disorder
and it's impact on language development.

>Representing the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, East
Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina:

>Jerry L. Cranford, PhD, Professor
>Gregg D Givens, PhD, Professor & Director of Graduate Studies
>Michael Rastatter, PhD, Professor & Chair
>Andrew Stuart, PhD, Assistant Professor
>

>Hotel Accommodations
>Rooms for the symposium are available at the Ramada Plaza Hotel ($54
single/double). Reservations should be made before September 25 by calling
(919-355-8300 to receive the special rate. Please identify the symposium by
name when making reservations.

>Cancellation Policy
>In the event you should have to cancel your registration on or before
October 2, 1997, a full refund will be made. No refunds will be made
thereafter,

>AGENDA
>Day 1
>BASIC SCIENCE: Foundation of Central Auditory Processing and Speech
Preception
>The Central Auditory System: Where Is It? (Dr. Musiek)
>Auditory processing of Speech: A View From Neuroscience (Dr. PhilIips)
>Brain Mapping - What Is It? (Dr. Cranford)
>Brain Mapping and Central Correlates (Dr. Jerger)
>Auditory Gap Detection, Perceptual Channels, and Temporal Resolution in
Speech 	Perception (Dr. PhillIps)
>Speech Perception in Noise - Some Recent Advances (Dr. Stuart)
>A Different View: Cognitive Linguistic Perspective (Dr. Friel-Patti)
>
>Day 2
>CLINICAL SCIENCE: Intervention Approaches and Their Basis
>Assessment of Auditory Processing:  An SLP Perceptive (Dr. Sloan)
>Assessment of Auditory processing - Part I: Behavioral (An Audiologist's
Perspective)
>	Dr:Chermak
>Assessment of Auditory processing - Part 2: Eiectrophysiological (An
Audiologist's 	Perspective) Dr. Jerger