Digital Comparisons

Brad Whitney whitneyb at erols.com
Tue Sep 16 09:33:06 EST 1997

In article <19970916030400.XAA10899 at ladder02.news.aol.com>,
rsiegel663 at aol.com says...

>>Subject: Re: Digital Comparisons
>>From: "jbell at barint.on.ca" <jbell at barint.on.ca>
>>Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:55:18 -0400
>>

>>My Senso C18's are high power aids that can go as high as a 100db to
>>145db range.
>>Oticon are just thinking about a high power model. They have told me
>>that their model is appropriate for losses up to 85-90 db.
>>
>>In Canada the cost of the Senso is C$1050 or US$1000. Dispensing adds
>>$350. Total for my two aids was $2800.. but they are well worth it. It
>>seems to me that US costs are much higher..Wonder why?

>First  of all We are not supposed to discuss pricing in this group, but ,
>correct me if I'm wrong doesn't the national insurance program in Canada
>help with some of the cost of the aids????
>
>If I am wrong I sure would like to find their suppliers, because
>you apparently purchased your aids for a heck of a lot less than wholesale
>cost to any U.S. dispensing facility.
>
>Widex has a web page why not contact them directly?
>

>Robert B. Siegel M.S. CCC-A, BC-HIS

While I agree getting too deep into costing and pricing issues can be
distracting, this particular issue is exactly why some pricing information
needs to be presented.

It appears (at least on the surface) Widex does have different pricing
structures for different countries.  I have been checking pricing in the
Washington DC area for Widex Senso since jbell at barint.on.ca emailed me the
Candian prices a week or two ago.  Under any comparision I can find, even
checking ahearingaid.com, US prices are at least 50% higher than Candian
Prices.

These Aids are already very expensive and carry a very high margin for
dispensers.  This whole issue may be ripe for either the FTC or some other
consumer group to investigate.  Prices for the Widex Senso CIC differ by 50%,
fitted (ahearingaid.com is NOT the lowest! from $2000 to $2900 US) in this
area.

With this kind of disparity on the same identical aid in price,  it is
inviting consumer protection groups to get involved.  I encourage this group
to tolerate at least some discussion on pricing issues in order to support
self regulation, otherwise government and consumers groups are going to
get involved.  Since 1992, when the above average aid cost $700, to 1994
when the above average aid cost $1600, to now when the Widex Senso CIC
cost nearly $3000, the prices of aids have gone up over 400%,
again fueling regulator interests.

All arguments about being better aids are muted when compaired to most
all other technical advances( e.g. PC's, CD's, Computers, etc.) bring
improvements with price reductions.

That the opinion of this humble user!

Brad H. Whitney