It appears Widex pricing depends on which country

RSiegel663 rsiegel663 at aol.com
Wed Sep 17 23:02:13 EST 1997

>Subject: It appears Widex pricing depends on which country
>From: whitneyb at erols.com (Brad Whitney)
>Date: 16 Sep 1997 16:34:40 GMT
>

>I originally posted this article as a follow up to another thread but
>I think it is important enough to get it's own thread....
>

>>In article <341DE706.5ACA7D64 at barint.on.ca>, jbell at barint.on.ca says...
>>>

>>>My Senso C18's are high power aids that can go as high as a 100db to
>>>145db range.
>>>Oticon are just thinking about a high power model. They have told me
>>>that their model is appropriate for losses up to 85-90 db.
>>>
>>>In Canada the cost of the Senso is C$1050 or US$1000. Dispensing adds
>>>$350. Total for my two aids was $2800.. but they are well worth it. It
>>>seems to me that US costs are much higher..Wonder why?

>>While I agree getting too deep into costing and pricing issues can be
>>distracting, this particular issue is exactly why some pricing information
>>needs to be presented.
>>
>>It appears (at least on the surface) Widex does have different pricing
>>structures for different countries.  I have been checking pricing in the
>>Washington DC area for Widex Senso since jbell at barint.on.ca emailed me the
>>Candian prices a week or two ago.  Under any comparision I can find, even
>>checking ahearingaid.com, US prices are at least 50% higher than Candian
>>Prices.
>>

>As a follow-up to support Widex's different pricing for different countries,
>see the ad for Widex Senso's from Denmark, including lodging, aimed directly
>at the US market, for less than $1500 US.
>
>This Internet ad is from www.earhelp.com:
>
>TEXT OF AD FOLLOWS:
>
>Compare the prices in your country to ours – and you might discover, that you
>
>could purchase highest quality hearing aids, get yourself a
>             trip to Denmark – and still save money.
>
>             Modern hearing aids - at the world’s most favourable rates.
>
>             Denmark is world famous for their hearing aid industry - and
>Denmark is a trend setter in modern hearing aids.
>
>             Due to reasonable Danish domestic market prices, you can buy new
>
>and fully digitalized hearing aids - and even save a fortune doing so.
>
>             Our clinic offers you:
>
>                  a complete examination
>                  earmould impression
>                  medical advice
>                  fully digitalized in-the-ear hearing aid
>                  including fitting and
>                  adjustment
>
>                                                     Less than US$ 1500, -
>
>             If you would like to visit us, we will even offer you free of
>charge accommodation in a luxury summer cottage close to the coastline during
>             your visit.
>
>             The price indicated is based on a Senso CX from Widex and is
>exclusive of VAT.
>
>             If you have any questions - Don't hesitate sending us an E-Mail.
>
>             Very best regards.
>
>             Arne M. Eike
>             ENT-consultant
>

>                                                          | Back to Top |

> [...]

Dear Brad

Just a few quick questions.  How much is VAT in Denmark?
I'm sure you can get a unit in this country for a similar overall discount
if you agree to never go back for any service, cleaning,
fitting adjustments, counselling, reports, emergency service, loaner if
the aid needs to go for servic, or any of the other services that are
considered to be normal for any ethical dispensing practice.

your comment about average cost of aids is off base too.
the $700 aid is still available now at the same or nearly the same cost
because the technology in it is the same.  The new technology is what you
are paying for.    And don't give me this PC's  CD's etc. comparison.  IT
IS WRONG.  PC's etc. are production items with set parameters and no
"fitting" to the purchaser.  In the Ear aids are custom made and fit to an
individual, not a desktop. Mass production  and technology becoming
obsolete is what lowers cost.   Wanna buy a
8088 or 80386 computer? You can get them REALLY cheap.  Guess why?  Analog
vs. Digital or hybrid technology.

There are errors in your logic.  But since it is now midnite and I have to
go to work all to soon, I'll finish this discussion tomorrow.  I don't want
to pay more than I need to for things I need but let's apple to apple on
this okay?

Robert B. Siegel M.S. CCC-A, BC-HIS
Family Hearing Centers
2001 Lincoln Dr W.   Suite E