earmolds

David M. Regan dregan at iconn.net
Fri Sep 19 19:23:10 EST 1997

T. J. Diesel wrote:

> I have trouble with itching caused by the earmold of my hearing aid.  I
> have tried several kinds of plastic.  Have recently heard that Frosted
> Flex (maybe a trademark) is a non-allergenic plastic for this purpose.
> Has anybody tried this?  I would be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Joe Diesel
Frosted Flex is a silicone (soft rubber) material by Westone
Laboratories.  I have never had a patient who had an ALLERGIC reaction
to this, or any of the other earmold materials commonly used
(lucite/acrylic which is a clear hard plastic, and vinyl which is soft
but not nearly as soft as silicone).  The problem may not, in fact, be
the actual MATERIAL that the mold is made of. It might be the effect of
moisture that the mold is preventing from evaporating which is
irritating your skin, or you may have a dermatologic condition, such as
eczema which is exacerbated by earmold use in general.  I would
recommend you consult a dermatologist first and if he or she recommends
that you try a different material, by all means it is worth pursuing.