STOP POSTING PRICING!

fjp p2 at media.mit.edu
Wed Sep 24 09:45:00 EST 1997

Paul D Dybala wrote:

> I am not saying this to try to tell you
> what to say or do but the simple fact of the matter is this:
>
> The charter of this group states that,
> Hearing aid prices and pricing ARE NOT ALLOWED
> TO BE DISCUSSED ON THIS NEWSGROUP!

Well, then, what actual advantage is there in keeping the newsgroup
under the control of Bionet?  Are there people out there who do not have
access to 'traditional' newsgroups, and therefore must depend on Bionet
to provide this information?  I suspect not.

It seems that the sponsoring of this newsgroup by Bionet is infringing
on the free exchange of information, which is totally unacceptible.  As
others have noted, it also brings into question the integrity of an
industry which relies on hushed pricing policies to inflate profits, at
the expense of the consumer.  Someone else even mentioned the price
fixing that allegedly occurs.

If an industry cannot stand by their products and be forthcoming and
honest about their pricing policies, they should not be trusted with
providing a very expensive, important product to their customers.

I understand the argument that we do not want this newsgroup to be a
'barter-ground' or advertising haven, but people actively exchanging
experiences and information about hearing aids and their prices (which
is, of course, extremely important to people) is a good and just
communication, which should not be infringed upon.

Just my opinion, as someone who may enter the hearing biz someday..