Discussion of pricing

Robert Birnbaum rb68 at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Wed Sep 24 11:03:02 EST 1997

I have been following the increasingly sharp discussion of
pricing, and I located the following statement on
audiologyinfo.com:

"The use of this newsgroup for commercial advertising is strictly
prohibited. Members not affiliated with a commerical organization are
encouraged to share their thoughts about one product or another. Those
persons who are affiliated with a commercial organization are strongly
encouraged to refrain from marketing one's own product or defaming
another organization's product. Our charter with the BIONET/BIOSCI
administration strictly prohibits such behavior and an abuse of it may
jeopordize our membership within this organization. We highly encourage
persons affiliated with commerical oganizations to comment and provide
suggestions when questions arrive in the newsgroup concerning one's own
product."

This statement would appear to prohibit the listserv from being used
for commercial purposes, but to permit discussion of prices or
pricing policies which are unrelated to attempts to sell one's own
product.

Perhaps the statement above is not the one to which those
concerned about discussing pricing have referred, or perhaps there
are additional statements other than the above that specifically
prohibit the discussion of prices.  If so, I hope that the correct
or additional statements can be published on this listserv so that
everyone understands whatever constraints on communication which
may exist.

If in fact the charter of this group explicitly states that
hearing aid prices and pricing are not allowed to be discussed on
this newsgroup, then members should either abide by it or try to
change the charter.   But if the charter merely prohibits the use
of the list for commercial purposes, then non-commercial
discussion of professional pricing practices and policies would
appear to be acceptable.

A clear statement of the specific wording of the charter in this
regard might help clear the air.

Bob Birnbaum
rb68 at umail.umd.edu