consumers/hearing aids with some CI mixed in

Susan M Lopez lopezs at musc.edu
Wed Sep 24 19:35:36 EST 1997

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Patricia Burns wrote:

> Susan M Lopez wrote:
> >
> > Today, I saw a woman who was 82 years old.
> --------%<----------
> > (However, based
> > on the discrim score, you could argue that no hearing aid circuit would
> > make that much difference).
> --------%<--------
> 	And did you not suggest a cochlear implant?
> Patricia

	No.  I didn't.  She wouldn't have qualified for an implant based
on her hearing thresholds and the discrim score.  I am basing this on my
experience working with the cochlear implant program in Iowa at the Univ.
of Iowa.

	Michael Riddenhour added a wry comment that he sold just such a
patient such a hearing aid at a "ridiculous price" and something about how
maybe he should be tarred and feathered for it, etc. etc. based on my
comments.

	My first reaction to this woman was that she had been had.  After
thinking about it, I'm not sure that she was.  I do know that I wouldn't
have charged what she paid for what she got for her money...and I probably
wouldn't have ordered her an aid with a class A circuit.  However....she
had been fairly happy with them from what I could tell.  Her daughter was
the one who made her mom come in.  So I probably jumped the gun with my
righteous indignation.  I guess I felt that for what this woman *reported*
she paid for her aids, I would've expected a higher end product.  But, she
bought it, and didn't return it after her 30 day trial period.  And I
didn't bother to find out who her dispenser/audiologist was to check her
story. So I was definately in the wrong.

	I was writing in a combination of anger and frustration from the
recent threads from consumers complaining about prices and the general
lack of knowledge about hearing aids and what the money a consumer pays is
for.  Everyone wants the best but nobody wants to pay for it.  I had had a
bad day, and it showed.  Sorry everyone!

Susan

(all comments are mine, and have nothing to do with those of my employer)