consumers/hearing aids/pricing/etc.etc

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Sat Sep 27 01:15:22 EST 1997

lopezs at musc.edu says...

--- snipped ----

whitneyb at erols.com (Brad) responds:

>Absolutly wonderful post- this post explains exactly what issues
>we consumers have been trying to communicate, but perhaps not as
>clearly.

>Specific price discussions are but a symptom of the problem. Lack
>of consumer education and a lack of available pricing information
>are the problems.

>Consumers do understand support, service policies, and other value
>added services. We are not looking for just the cheapest prices,
>just some indication we are paying a fair price. I seldom by the cheapest,
>because after sale support usual stinks.

>These are the types of consumer discussions that should take place
>on this newsgroup, not vendor A charges $x and vendor B charges $y.

Yes, a wonderful post from Susan and an equally valid one from Brad...

In this profession there are hard working honest people who put the
care of their patients first and foremost.  OTOH, there are real crooks
who prey on the ignorance of the general public when it comes to the
selection and purchase of hearing aids.  Is it the public's fault?  No
way !! There is no way of knowing except when you ask your friends who
they recommend.  Since hearing aids are manufactured by many different
manufacturers, sold by many people, and all basically look the same,
the difference is in the PERFORAMANCE, not the price.  Find a hearing
healthcare provider you trust and one that comes recommended by
someone who shops the way you do.  If you shop based on price only,
then ask someone else who shops based on price only.  But if you
shop based on performance, then ask someone who who does the same.