Speech discrim after correction of conductive hearing loss

Kimberly Skinner kskinner at in-con.com
Tue Sep 30 09:57:48 EST 1997

I recently saw a 36 year old man who had a maximum conductive hearing
loss (near as I can tell from what he told me) from early childhood.
Two years ago he had an operation which corrected this, and now his air
conduction thresholds are within normal limits (15 or better, in fact.)
Hearing has always been excellent at the other ear.  His complaint was
that whenever he isolates this ear, he can't hear words, for example
when he's on the telephone or when someone whispers in that ear.  His
speech testing in the booth is normal (SRT agrees with pure tones, word
recognition is 92%.)  Does anyone know of any ways of "strengthening"
that ear?  I have some ideas, and I was wondering what other
audiologists might suggest.   (I thought about having him get a WIDEX
SENSO for that ear, but Canada is too far away!)

Kimberly