consumers/hearing aids with some CI mixed in

Patricia Burns pburns at nospam.earthling.net
Tue Sep 30 12:51:36 EST 1997

Susan M Lopez wrote:
>         No.  I didn't.  She wouldn't have qualified for an implant based
> on her hearing thresholds and the discrim score.  I am basing this on my
> experience working with the cochlear implant program in Iowa at the Univ.
> of Iowa.

	The threshold/discrim levels have been relaxed since then.  Cochlear
Implants are now indicated for adults with only "severe" hearing loss.
When age contraindicates general anesthesia, CIs have now been done
successfully with a local anesthetic.

--
Patricia Burns
(remove "nospam." from address to reply by email.)