Speech discrim after correction of conductive hearing loss

Susan M Lopez lopezs at musc.edu
Tue Sep 30 20:36:10 EST 1997

	Um, why on earth would you put a hearing aid on a normal ear?

	Maybe I'm missing something really obvious here.  If he had a
maximum conductive hearing loss that has been corrected to 15 dB HL or
better across audiometric frequencies, he should be grateful and if he
can't hear whispers, big woo.  I don't mean to sound crass or rude, but I
have rarely seen maximum conductives corrected to 15 dB or better across
frequencies and if this guy truly got that much improvement, he should
thank his surgeon and humbly go about his life IMHO.

	Despite the correction, he still does not have and will never have
a "normal" ear and should not expect the operated ear to work the same as
the unoperated ear.  If discrim is WNL at a resonable volume, and nothing
else is going on, this man seems to be in need of some counseling rather
than a hearing aid.  And why a Senso in particular?  Its still a hearing
aid, even if it is "digital."

Susan
(all opinions expressed are mine, and in no way reflect on my employer)