Contra reflexes- CORRECTION!!!!!!!!

Jae Utke jae1969 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 7 10:05:19 EST 1998

Hello, all,

Apparently I made a grevious error when I posted my last message about
the  contra and reflex testing, as my professor wrote back to me.  This
is her message:

>Right or Left means the side the stimulus is presnted on
>Ispi or Contra means the side measured in compared to the stimulus.
>    Example:  left contra:  left ear stimulus--measured in the right
>        (You have it wrong)

>Please, if this was sent to the whole audiology list server, please
>correct yourself regarding your statement of the lecture notes.

>There is some disagreement about contralateral reflexes, but current
>description states left contra as I have stated above.

>Anne

So, as promised, I have gone through my notes to see where I made my
mistake.

Right Ipsi:  Stimulus (tone) in Right ear, Probe in Right ear.
Left Contra:  Stimulus in Left Ear, Probe in Right ear.
Left Ipsi:  Stimulus in Right Ear, Probe in Left ear.
Right Contra:  Stimulus in Right ear, Probe in Left ear.

Pathway for Right Ipsi:  RIGHT outer ear, middle ear, cochlea, 8th
auditory nerve, cochlear nucleus, superior auditory complex, down RIGHT
7th facial nerve.

Pathway for Left Contra:  LEFT outer ear, middle ear, cochlea, 8th
auditory nerve, cochlear nucleus, superior olivary complex, down the
RIGHT 7th facial nerve.

Pathway for Left Ipsi:  LEFT outer ear, middle ear, cochlea, 8th
auditory nerve, cochlear nucleus, superior olivary complex, down LEFT
7th facial nerve.

Pathway for Right Contra:  RIGHT outer ear, middle ear, cochlea, 8th
auditory nerve, cochlear nucleus, superior olivary complex, down LEFT
7th facial nerve.

I think the other stuff about the response patterns is correct.  I am
sorry about the mixup.  Again, I have also forwarded this to my
professor for verification purposes.

Thanks,

Jae Utke
University of South Dakota