Follow Up Protocol for Early Auditory Neuropathy

Cindy A Caughman cac at U.Arizona.EDU
Mon Dec 7 10:06:03 EST 1998

Does anyone know of or have a protocol for audiologic follow up of
newborns suspected of having auditory neuropathy?

I'm working as part of a newborn hearing screening program that began in
September.  The first baby to be referred for a diagnostic ABR had no
waveform present up to 112 dB.  We tried OAE's and found robust responses
bilaterally.  As a newborn, she had a bilirubin count high enough to
require phototherapy, but not an exchange transfusion.  Any suggestions
regarding a protocol for audiologic follow up of such clients would be
greatly appreciated.

Cindy A. Caughman