Hearing aid & stethoscope

michael_forrest michael_forrest at lineone.net
Mon Feb 2 12:19:03 EST 1998

There's an interesting problem here.
If I remember aright, the stethoscope has a very curious acoustic which
essentially that of a low-pass filter. Nothing much above a few hundred Hz
actually gets to the ears.
I don't know much about hearing aids but I suspect their low frequency
performance isn't too good (especially if the ear mould leaks a bit). After
all, there is hardly any information in speech below a few hundred Hz, so
low frequency performance isn't a priority.
Thus the hearing aid might not help all that much, or at all, and if the
hearing loss is mainly at high frequency then the user might be better off
without it.

That's the theory - I suspect practical experience by users might be more
helpful!

Mike Forrest

Thomas Hyldgaard Pedersen <thpe97af at student.econ.cbs.dk> wrote in article
<34CDAA2D.AAE68768 at student.econ.cbs.dk>...