Insert Phone

michael_forrest michael_forrest at
Tue Jan 20 19:50:38 EST 1998

Lawrence Tan <lawtan at> wrote in article
<34c2de3b.22158059 at>...
> Dear All,
> We have recently calibrated our audiometer for use with insert phones
> and the regular headphones.
> What I want to know is whether it is possible to use the child
> existing earmoulds together with the insert phone by
> attaching the insert phone's tubing into the child's earmould.
> Best regards,
> Name          Lawrence Tan, Aud. Tech; CSHI, Singapore
> E-mail         lawtan at
> Homepage
> ICQ UIN       1443716
I did once get involved in acoustical measurements, in another context
(active noise reduction ear plugs), using what were in effect insert
'phones - BEWARE - the acoustics of the ear canal, especially if tubing and
a variety of earmoulds and ear canal sizes and shapes are involved, are
going to be complicated. I suspect you could get quite large errors this

Mike Forrest