Monaural HA to solve occlusion?

R H Birchall rhbirchall at ameritech.net
Fri Jul 10 01:00:33 EST 1998

I have similar loss in both ears (30 dbL from 400 Hz to 2 kHz, greater
loss below and above)  I have been trialing the Seimens Prisma CICs for
the past 2 weeks.  Occlusion is a significant problem for me.  A vent or
deep fitting is out because of my narrow and sharply bending canals. My
audiologist has suggested trying just one aid in my dominant (left) ear.
This seems to be working quite well.  Most of the occlusion comes from
my right ear and without the right aid, the occlusion is mostly gone.

My question is whether this is a good long term solution or is this a
temporary crutch to help me get used to both HAs.  I know binaural
hearing is important but I can still hear quite a bit from my unaided
right ear.  Will I suffer additional loss because I leave the right ear
unaided?

Thanks in advance.
--
Ron Birchall