Monaural HA to solve occlusion?

Howard Moss hmoss at sr.hp.com
Sat Jul 11 10:38:15 EST 1998

R H Birchall (rhbirchall at ameritech.net) wrote:
: I have similar loss in both ears (30 dbL from 400 Hz to 2 kHz, greater
: loss below and above)  I have been trialing the Seimens Prisma CICs for
: the past 2 weeks.  Occlusion is a significant problem for me.  A vent or
: deep fitting is out because of my narrow and sharply bending canals. My
: audiologist has suggested trying just one aid in my dominant (left) ear.
: This seems to be working quite well.  Most of the occlusion comes from
: my right ear and without the right aid, the occlusion is mostly gone.

: My question is whether this is a good long term solution or is this a
: temporary crutch to help me get used to both HAs.  I know binaural
: hearing is important but I can still hear quite a bit from my unaided
: right ear.  Will I suffer additional loss because I leave the right ear
: unaided?

: Thanks in advance.
: --
: Ron Birchall

Hi,

Sorry, don't know what occlusion is, but I have a (an?) hereditary
hearing loss in both ears. At non-critical times, I wear no HA (BTEs).
Usually, I wear my left BTE. During work meetings or large groups, I
wear both BTEs. One advantage of a single aid is that using the telephone
is hassle-free. I have not had any changes in hearing levels due to which
aids I wear. That has to depend on what caused your loss in the first place.
I do notice that my "comprehension level" improved in both ears...

--
Howard Moss
hmoss at sr.hp.com
Rohnert Park, CA