Soundproofing an apartment -----

Noral D. Stewart noral at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 25 13:11:14 EST 1998

Jon Held wrote:

> Hello! I have a soundproofing question.  My new apartment has a sound problem
> - there is an exhaust fan (from a restaurant) near my back door. Much of the
> sound winds up in my apt - mostly mid-range "whining".  It's loud, and
> frustrating.  I want to insulate the back of the apt (on the outside) with
> something.  There is a thin back door, a wall above it which is just 2 layers
> of thin plywood, and a skylight on the ceiling nearby.
>
> Which material would be best for blocking the sound-
> 1) Wood
> 2) Styrofoam, or
> 3) Standard white ceiling tiles (Don't know what they're made from -
> fiberglass?  I have a few unused ones)
>
> Any advice on this question or other tips on soundproofing greatly
> appreciated.
>
> thanks.
>
> -Jon Held

Greg Szekeres made two very good comments.  I only recently learned how
good particle board is an acoustical blocker.  It would be better than
wood if you wanted to add something to the inside of the door or panel
above.  Also, as he said, if the noise source is a part of your
building, the problem could be sound traveling through the structure
>From the source rather than the sound you hear outside penetrating the
structure.

Noral Stewart