Soundproofing an apartment -----

Barry Mann nitebird at voicenet.com
Sat Jul 25 13:10:57 EST 1998

In <6p87p8$h1h$1 at netnews.upenn.edu>, on 07/23/98
   at 11:08 PM, heldj at hotmail.com (Jon Held) said:

>Hello! I have a soundproofing question.  My new apartment has a sound
>problem  - there is an exhaust fan (from a restaurant) near my back door.
>Much of the  sound winds up in my apt - mostly mid-range "whining".  It's
>loud, and  frustrating.  I want to insulate the back of the apt (on the
>outside) with  something.  There is a thin back door, a wall above it
>which is just 2 layers  of thin plywood, and a skylight on the ceiling
>nearby.

>Which material would be best for blocking the sound-
>1) Wood
>2) Styrofoam, or
>3) Standard white ceiling tiles (Don't know what they're made from -
>fiberglass?  I have a few unused ones)

>Any advice on this question or other tips on soundproofing greatly
>appreciated.

Don't overlook the obvious. If possible, keep the storm windows installed
year round. Install a storm window on the skylight.

Add as much mass as possible in the walls and windows. Multiple Layers
separated by space filled with fiberglass insulation are better than a
single layer.

Sound can also be conducted. If the fan is attached to your building,
you'll have to isolate the fan or your apartment from the building.