AUD...is it necessary?

Alfred Lopez/Susan Lopez lopezal at fiu.edu
Thu Jul 30 00:58:11 EST 1998

Risking being flamed to a crisp here....
I will dare venture that the "necessity" of the AUD depends on your
focus.

At this point, you can still get most jobs, if not 99% of available
audiology jobs with an MA.  I *have* seen ads for AuDs only...but not
very many at all.

There are people who will tell you that an AuD is the only way to go.

I myself would *love* to go back to school, and learn more about areas
of audiology that I would like to explore more.  However, I have other
personal priorities that make such a return for this degree rather low
on the list.

I think there are a few issues that you should consider when weighing
the pros and cons of an AuD.

1) How much more will this degree cost you (time, money, etc.) vs. how
much more do you think you can earn with the degree compared to stopping
with an MA right now?

2) As the degree is fairly new, how important is it to you to be in on
the ground floor of a project whose future is yet undetermined?

As all of us are painfully aware, audiologists are deeply divided on
this issue.  It is a choice you will have to make for yourself after
listening and weighing the various arguments for and against such a
degree program.

Many people are allowed by state law to sell hearing aids.  State laws
take a LONG time to change.  And until the only people allowed to sell
hearing aids are people with AuDs, I can guarantee you that you will
have a job as an audiologist with an MA despite what anyone says.  It
may not be the job you want, but there will be jobs out there.  Its been
hard enough to get ENT doctors to stop using one of the "office girls"
to test someone's hearing and to move into hiring an audiologist.  You
will not find many bread and butter ENTs out there who will hire an AuD
and pay the person with the AuD what they ought to be worth.

Read about the issues.  Stay on top of the discussion.  Don't let
someone else make up your mind for you.  And good luck....

Susan Lopez
lopezal at fiu.edu