OAE instruments

James G. Odom james.odom at mci2000.com
Mon Jun 8 23:43:20 EST 1998

Deb Huber wrote in message ...
>We are considering the purchase of an OAE instrument to be used in a
>school setting and just received info on the ERO-SCAN DPOAE. Are there any
>other units out that would be appropriate and which would be better DPOAE
>or TEOAE>Deb Huber

I have been using the Grason-Stadler GSI-60 DPOAE for several years now and
am very pleased with the unit.  I am seeing 100% adult population (veterans)
so I use it primarily for verification of pure tone data, confirmation of
malingering, and others "just for the h--- of it."  If you are seeing a more
pediatric poplulation you will need to keep in mind the limitations of OAE
with any middle ear problems.  The OAE is very good at detecting more than
mild hearing loss, but cannot distinguish between a 40 dB or a 90 dB loss.
The GSI-60 has mulitiple settings for stimuli.  I commonly use the 55/65
(F1/F2) because it is supposed to be more sensitive to loss.  Many machines
offer a 70 dB setting as standard, but research shows you can get OAEs at 70
dB from a cadaver. I personally feel better with DPOAE over TOAE as it gives
a full picture of the whole frequency range.