Hourly rate

CharlesHarney CharlieHarney at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 8 23:43:37 EST 1998

What is being delived in that hour? In Puerto Rico the costs to an
audiologist (I have 3 offices with ENT's) break down this way:
Personnel: $20..00/hr (including benefits but this will incease $5.00/hr
next month as major wage increases become effective). I also pay for
audiometer, tym, real ear, booths, OAE, ENG and AER.
On an hourly basis (in Puerto Rico) we can do audiometry, tympanometry
and OAE for about $160.00/hr ((128.00 for one patient plus the time (15
minutes) for another patient). ENG and AER are about the same. So the
gross is about $160.00/hr. If you have the responsibility for supplying
the audiologist and you charge $45.00/hr that compensates you for the
personnel and pays you $160.00/day(out of a gross of $1280.00). If you
purchase the equipment you must consider the cost of the equipment on a
time basis per use per month.
For example. The booth, audiometer audiometer and immittance, computer,
Noah and real ear cost you ($6,000/5,000/5,000/1,000/700/5,000) $22,700,
Over a 3 year period that is $630.00/mo  (800.00 with interest). If your
audiologists goes one day/week that is $200/day or $25.00/hr.  Your
overhead (not counting parking, maintanence, paper, etc) is $45.00/hr.

I have pretty much a 50/50 distribution of the profit after the costs of
hearing aids and accessories. The ENT pays for the space, secretary and
billing services. I am in charge of the professional audiology services
(personnel, equipment and supervision). It has worked out well for
everyone. Our costs are fairly even.  Keep in mind that if the ENT
supplies the equipment the numbers change.
In order to have this arrangement you must be with serious individuals
and you must have a written contract.
Talking about a "hourly rate" means nothing is you do not go over the
numbers. $25.00/hr is not worth my doing business. My costs are between
$50-55/hr. My profit is $25.00/hr if 12 patients are seen daily (for
basic workup that includes OAE) The ENT earns the same. This does not
include profits from hearing aids.

I am amazed at how many audiologists accept a number because it "sounds
good".

To whom?

Charlie Harney