hearing aids for profound hearing loss?

Langche Zeng langche at everest.fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 30 01:44:16 EST 1998

Greeting! I recently had a hearing test and the audiogram is like this:

      Hz       250  500   750    1k   1.5k   2k   3k    4k   8k

    left       5     5    10     15    65    70   90    90   80
db
    right      0     5    10     35    70    85   100   105  105

I function well in one-to-one conversations but are totally lost in group
(even extremely small group) situations. The audiologist told me that NO
hearing aids, regardless of how expensive or fancy they are, would help
and advised me not to wear any. However when we called around and ask
hearing aids dispensers we were told that something can be done to bring
my hearing to 2k hz. Widex's senso, which would cost $2,500 EACH, was
offered as a choice.

I have the following questions:

1. Is the audiologist right in saying that no hearing aids can help at
all?

2. If the hearing aids dispensors are right that hearing aids CAN being it
to 2k, why the audiologist would not recommend it? Does it mean that the
benefit of hearing up to 2k rather than 1k isn't that great?  Or, is the
benefit worth the $5,000 cost?

3. As I understand it beyond 2k my ears are pretty much hopeless, and
below 1k they are close to perfect. So it's only between 1k and 2k where
amplification is needed. Are there simple, much cheaper hearing aids that
could do just that? what's the advantage of those digital, programmable
aids in my case?

4. Any recommendation about the type/brand of hearing aids I should get
(if I should get any at all)?

I would appreciate your help very much. Thanks,

(Please cc to my e-mail address when replying. thanks!)

Langche Zeng

lzeng at fas.harvard.edu