hearing aids for profound hearing loss?

David Barnkow barnkow at wsu.edu
Tue Jun 30 23:40:52 EST 1998

Good Morning All,
I have to say that I believe Langche Zeng is, in fact, a good hearing aid
candidate.  Perhaps not the easiest technical fitting in the world, but
certainly a candidate.  I think the level of success and satisfaction with
a hearing aid fitting on this audiogram is more related to appropriate and
realistic expectations (for both the patient and the dispenser)of the
hearing aid fitting than the particular type and level of technology used.

I would encourage a trial hearing aid fitting with a dispenser who has
spent more time defining your needs and expectations and educating you
about the potential benefits and disadvantages of each of your style and
amplifier options than one who "sells" you the most expensive thing in the
office.  Since you asked for suggestions, I personally would not start you
off with instruments like the Senso.  Again, this is a personal opinion,
Senso is a bit like repairing a dripping faucet by replacing all the
plumbing in the house; overkill. (This statement should generating a
dissenting opinion.) I'd start with a Class D/AGC-I with active low cut.
My rationale: low internal circuit noise and ability to account for your
potentially reduced dynamic range in the high frequencies.  Cost: depending
upon style chosen, $700-$1000 each in our market.  Where you live the price
could be significantly different.  If the Class D/AGC-I generated
complaints that the Senso could address then I would reconsider a fitting
using that level of technology.

Finally, to account for the differing advice you have received, skill level
and sophistication among dispensering varies widely.  Additionally, I
believe that hearing aid fitting is as much "art" as it is science and some
hearing aid fitters are better "artists" than others. Thanks for the
opportunity to give input.
David Barnkow