Cisplatin Ototoxicity

Steve Ackley sackley at hhs.unco.edu
Wed May 6 00:04:03 EST 1998

Jeff,
Make certain it was cisplatin and get the dose.  You'll find several
hundred articles on Medline, or call Kathy Campbell at So. Illinois.

Date:          Fri, 01 May 1998 22:20:12
To:            ASHA Listserve <asha-aud-forum at postman.com>,
               "bionet.audiology" <audiolog at net.bio.net>,
               Otology Online Listserver <otology at smtp.cochlea.com>
From:          Jeffrey Sirianni <audioman at hctc.net>
Subject:       Cisplatin Ototoxicity

I have a present patient who finished chemotherapy several months ago and a
side effect has been a bilateral, mild to moderate, sensorineural hearing
loss.  I do not have information on her chemotherapy regime, but am
guessing it was cisplatin.

Can anyone give me a brief overview on cisplatin ototoxicity, including
usual type and degree of loss, reversal of hearing loss (if any), prognosis
with amplification, and any special issues that needs to be addressed in
terms of amplification.

Thanks...

Jeff

Steve Ackley             Internet:  sackley at hhs.univnorthco.edu
Professor                          Phone:  (970) 351-1726
Department of Communications Disorders         Fax:  (970) 351-1600
University of Northern Colorado                  Greeley, C0  80639