Billing For Cerumen Removal

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at hctc.net
Mon Sep 21 08:50:05 EST 1998

I'd like to hear from persons presently engaged in private practice who
perform and bill for cerumen removal.  I would appreciate answers to the
following questions:

Medicare Patients
=================
1. Can a private practitioner bill Medicare for cerumen removal?
2. Is a referral from a physician required? (I'm 99% sure the answer
   is "Yes")
3. Can you perform and bill for cerumen removal and dx testing on the same
   day? (I'm 99% sure this is "No")
4. Do most Medicare supplements cover the other 20%?

Non-Medicare Patients
1. Can a private practitioner bill most private insurance for cerumen
   removal?
2. Is a referral from a physician usually required?