Excessive Moisture Problems

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at hctc.net
Wed Mar 24 11:56:32 EST 1999

Greetings To All,

I have a patient who is experiencing more than expected moisture problems.
He currently wears Phonak Sona P2 binaurally.  He comes in every 1-2 weeks
reporting that one of his aids is "out".  After removing the programming
cover, I suction the moisture out of the programming port and microphone
and the aid comes to life.  He uses his charged Super Dri-Aid kit nightly
and says he dries his ears (concha and EAC opening) every morning with a
towel after his shower and sometimes uses a Q-tip with a dab of alcohol.
He is a 40 year old preacher who is very sensitive to reductions in
"volume" when the aid starts to accumulate moisture.  He says that most
mornings his aids come out of the jar working very well, but by 6:00 PM,
the devices are "down".  This may be some habituation effect, but due to
his in-office moisture problems, I would say that there is definitely
excessive accumulation throughout the day, with some excessive accumulation
that requires him to come into the office for my help.  I have seen the
glistening of moisture on many of these visits and the aid comes to life as
soon as I suction it away.  The devices have been back to the factory
several times for problems that I can now remedy with my experience with
his moisture problems.

1. I only have a few patients who wear this model (although he seems to
wear his devices every day as long as he can), and so I am curious to know
if this is a model design problem, or whether this is an individual user
problem.

2. I told him that I would look into the price on a Dry and Store unit, but
I would not want this patient to spend the money if he continues to have
this problem.  Has anyone seen good/remarkable results with the Dry and
Store unit for patients with excessive moisture problems that do not seem
to get the full benefits from an inexpensive Super Dri-Aid kit?

3.  Does anyone have any further suggestions for me or for the patient?  As
I mentioned earlier, he is a preacher (presently interviewing for open
positions) and so this intermittent problem is really something that this
man can do without.

All responses are greatly appreciated.

Note: He and I have a running joke that with all the follow-up office
visits that he has had over the last year, that I lose money everytime he
comes into the office.  I am glad he is such a nice guy, and we enjoy our
sessions, but he is frustrated and concerned with this problem, especially
if he moved out of my area.

Help....

Jeff