Excessive Moisture Problems

Karen Pullar KP at Oticon.co.nz
Fri Mar 26 15:02:53 EST 1999

I have worked as a clinician in hospitals and private practice in New
Zealand and England for 10 years. I saw this problem with a number of
clients, particularly those who were young and athletic, who played squash
or took part in other physical sport or activities.
The "moisture problem" occurred irrespective of brand or model of hearing
instrument.

The solutions I found helpful were
1. dry aid kits, which I gave to all clients as a precautionary measure
2. "Super Seals" - which are like a condom for a hearing instrument - for
serious problems.
3. "water proof" hearing aids - for extreme problems

These days I work for a hearing instrument manufacturer. From that
perspective I encourage you to discuss the problems you client is
experiencing with the relevant manufacturer. It may be possible to "paint"
the components in the aid with an extra coat of protection lacquer and / or
silicon to further reduce the chances of corrosion.

Karen Pullar, BSc, DipSc, DipAud, MNZAS, CCC-NZ, MBAAS, FAAA
Audiologist, General Manager
Oticon New Zealand Limited
142 Lambton Quay, Box 9128, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND
Telephone +64 4 473 3330; FreePhone 0800 OTICON
Fax + 64 4 473 4440; FreeFax 0800 OTICON
Mobile +64 21 647 330
kp at oticon.co.nz