hearing infrasound

Steve Ungstad steve_ungstad at agilent.com
Fri Mar 17 03:15:30 EST 2000

I'd like to suggest that like electronic systems, at some point low
frequencies "become audible" because the amplitude reaches a point where
the system overloads and the low frequencies are distorted and produce
harmonics that are audible. Play 10Hz through a small speaker and you
hear very little until the amplifier or speaker clips, at which time the
harmonics of 10Hz are suddenly very audible. Being our listeners own
"equipment" is the source of the distortion, the experience is slightly
different, but I think the analogy still applies.

Steve