5000 Hz

Sonja Bernard hippolog at netway.at
Wed Nov 8 15:44:34 EST 2000

This newsgroup was recommended to me by Noral Stewart. I had put the
following question also to alt.sci.physics.acoustics, but may be I can get
some more helpful hints in bionet.audiology. Thank you in advance.

As a teacher, I was recently testing childrens' ability of hearing. I am
using a "danplex AS 52" audiometer, which can emit tones from 125 to 8000
Hz. I found out that a lot of children hear the 5000 Hz tone not so well as
the others, but only at a higher dB-level. Another tone, by the way, which
doesn't seem
to be percepted so well is that of 250 Hz, but not so often as that of 5000
Hz. I am wondering where 5000 Hz
tones can be found in our average life, especially in which sounds of the
human language they may play a role. Can anyone please help me? Thank you
Sonja Bernard