marine organism hearing and airguns

David Dalton dalton at nfld.com
Mon Dec 8 04:38:51 EST 2003

I know this group is mainly devoted to human hearing but I thought
a few might be interested in the ongoing debate of the effect of
marine seismic airguns on marine mammal, and now some say, maybe
even fish hearing and dynamics.

Yestersday I posted a "marine seismic alternatives?" post to
sci.environment,sci.geo.geology,alt.sci.physics.acoustics,sci.geo.petroleum
and
talk.environment,alt.animals.whales,sci.bio.fisheries,ns.general,nf.general
and in that post asked about recent research into the effects of
airguns on marine mammals and on fish if any and what frequencies
were the worst culprits.   (Propellor noise may also be a problem
for marine mammals near large shipping lanes.)

Anyway if you have a comment I suggest that you reply to one or
both of those threads and even here as well if you like and
I will check back here in a few days.

If any of my friends who graduated from audiology at UBC, or
John Nicol who works as sysadmin there, are on here, then hi.

David Dalton, geophysicist/applied mathematician