Switching the direction of hair cells

Radium glucegen at excite.com
Wed Jul 23 02:39:18 EST 2003

Kalman Rubinson <kr4 at nyu.edu> wrote in message news:<o55ohvkgfvjt0dh8p9rum6bmmjhg6u2kme at 4ax.com>...
> On 21 Jul 2003 09:32:55 +0100, glucegen at excite.com (Radium) wrote:
>
> >Hi:
> >
> >I am interested in knowing what would happen if sound entering the
> >back end of the cochlea were perceived as high-pitched while sounds
> >entering the front entrance of the cochlea were perceived as
> >lower-pitched.
>
> Do you think the reverse is the normal case?

No. In the norm, the higher-frequencies (moving hair cells in the
front of the cochlea) are perceived as higher-pitched, while
lower-frequencies (moving hair cells at the back of the cochlea) are
perceived as low-pitched.

If this was reversed it would be interesting. Lower-frequencies would
be higher-pitched and higher-frequencies would be lower-pitched.

A cassette played at higher speed than recorded while sound abnormally
low-pitched. If played at a lower speed than recorded, it would sound
abnormally high-pitched.

Faster vibrations would be lower-pitched and slower vibrations would
be higher-pitched.

I always wonder what it would be like.

On my MIDI keyboard when I play a higher note for a tone instrument
(e.g. an accordian) I feel the vibration to be faster. When playing a
lower note, I feel the vibration to be slower. If the "pitch
receptors" in my cochleae were switched, I would feel the higher-notes
to vibrate slower than the lower-notes. Right?