Neurophone - Real or Not???

Peter Weis p.weis at
Thu Sep 18 03:28:09 EST 2003

"Radium" <glucegen at> wrote in message
news:464c821f.0309161808.4bc33b9d at
> Cochlear implants stimulate the peripheral auditory nerve-endings in
> the cochlea. Electric signals excite these nerve endings
> The neurophone is said to work differently -- by using electric
> signals on any nerve in the body. At a specific frequency this is
> supposed to stimulate the auditory cortex of the brain. This,
> according to Flantech, causes a perception of sound. Isn't this too
> good to be true, given the state of today's technology?

In that case, I don't know the system.

I have, however, found a sentimental report on, about a deaf person being
able to appreciate the special qualities of Maria Callas's voice. That
sounds too good to be true. Such technology would make the
manufacturer immensely rich in a very short time ... if it worked. And
there has been plenty of time to develop it into a product, as the
event took place in 1970.
So I am a little sceptical - but we'll see.

15 years ago, there were vibro-tactile aids commercially available,
which stimulated the skin mechanically. But they lost the battle to
cochlear implants, due to fewer success-stories.

best regards