Help with Ultra Quiet please

Charlie no at spam.thanks.com
Tue Apr 13 03:56:35 EST 2004

First, let me get the disclaimers out of the way - I am not associated with
the manufacturer of the Ultra Quiet in any way whatsoever.

I've had a bilateral tinnitus for about 6 months.  It's a constant intrusive
(sometimes VERY intrusive) ~6 KHz tone.  My audiogram shows a high-frequency
loss that rolls off at 8 KHz to a 60 db loss in the left ear and 70 db loss
in the right.  A follow up diagnotic ABR rules out acoustic neuroma.  It
seems to be a typical ideopathic tinnitus.  And some days, it's unbearable -
in fact, this morning (Easter Sunday), I heard it over the church organ with
the choir and congregation (200+) singing the Alleluia Chorus at full
volume.

That's the history.  Now for the "opportunity".

I have been offered a free trial period of the Ultra Quiet.  I met these
folks at the American Academy of Audiology convention 2 weeks ago, because I
was exhibiting at my company's booth (in an unrelated field in audiology).
They made the offer because I'm going to see a tinnitus guru, with whom they
have had a problem getting an appointment.  I agreed to tell him what I
think of their device.

This is a device that plays CD audio in the high sonic range through a
piezo-electric bone conductor (they say that it's ultrasonic, but the
stimulus is in the 10 KHz - 20 KHz range).

They state that there is some evidence to suggest residual inhibition of
tinnitus after a number of 1/2 hour sessions, due to some plastic changes in
the brain.

Here is  a website that offers some explanation:
http://www.people.vcu.edu/~lenhardt/Pages/UltraQuiet.html

Here are my questions:

1) Does anybody have any relevant experience with this device? (not just
anecdotes or speculation please)

2) I'm trying to design some metrics whereby I can conduct my own "study"
(yes, I use the term loosely).  I've started keeping a log of my best-guess
items that might be useful - right now I've started to record some baseline
(pre-"study") data.  I'm just wondering whether there are any other factors
that I should look at.

I'm recording the following: Time awake and asleep, diet, meds, unusual
stress, alcohol & caffeine use and tinnitus level at awake, mid-morning,
noon, mid-afternoon and evening.  Are there any other factors I should
consider?

Any advice is appreciated - I'm hoping to start using this device within the
week.

Charlie