Software choice

Don Seto don at dgt.com
Sat Aug 10 06:18:22 EST 1996

I have used Sequencher, at several different places with very different
projects.  This program is very useful, simple-to-use, and
well-supported.  Being Mac-based and networked, it is especially useful
for institutions that do not have a dedicated computer support staff.
For ex., in a pharmaceutical setting, over seventy-five different
researchers, with different needs and backgrounds, were able to use
Sequencher to analyze DNA sequences retrieved form a core facility (with
little training).  I've used this program to assemble cosmid-, plasmid-,
and gene-sized projects, as well as to align few sequences.  Again,
GeneCodes is very receptive to suggestions and will respond to questions
and problems.