Software choice? sequencher, phrap/phred/consed, staden?

Scottie Adams mbcf at
Mon Aug 12 10:18:57 EST 1996

>Do you have opinions to share on the best choice(s) of

>software for small-scale autosequencing?  We have recently acquired

>Sequencher, Phrap/Phred/Consed/etal, and Staden package,

>all of which can handle ABI and SCF trace data, do base calling

>and assembly.  But it will take some time to compare and evaluate

>these, so your experiences would be valuable to us and others

>starting with such software.

>Thanks,  Don

>-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana
u--bloomington--gilbertd at

Don - I am only familiar with Sequencher, but as a member of the ABRF
DNA Sequencing Committee, we used Sequencher to compare and analyze 73
DNA chromatograms from ABI, ALF and Licor - and it was quite easy to
use and handled the large load gracefully. Hope this helps.   Scottie

Scottie Adams aka Pamela Scott Adams

Molecular Biology Core Facility

W. Alton Jones Cell Science Center

10 Old Barn Road