Biomek2000 and Hydra96 for template isoln and sequencing

Bruce Bruce
Thu Dec 19 01:00:25 EST 1996

Hi all,
	We have been using the Biomek 2000 for semi-automated double
stranded DNA sequencing template isolations for the past year doing
four 96 well plates in ~4 hours on each Biomek and recently have used
the Hydra96, which has been adapted with the 386 well rotating stage
developed by Elane Mardis and her group at the Wash.U Genome Center
for pipetting the double-stranded Taq-FS and/or Taquenase-TR dye-primer
sequencing reactions as the Robbins Hydra96 works better than the Biomek
for small volume pipetting and does 96 pipettings simultaniously.

	I've put the Biomek protocols on our web site:
		http://www.genome.ou.edu
and shortly will put the Hydra96 protocols there.

	Also, Patrick Merel has several interesting protocols on
his web site that you might not be aware of:
		http://www.yi.com/home/MerelPatrick/scince1.htm
Of specific interest to me was his paper describing a DNA isolation
procedure from whole blood using the Biomek.

	Finally, in the true spirit of Christmas, try reducing the
amount of Taq-FS kit by a factor of 4 and also reducing the amount
of template and primer 2 or 4-fold as well and do the DNA sequencing
reactions in a 5 ul volume instead of the 20 ul recommended by ABI.
It's a cost savings of 4-fold and it works for us..................

	Just thought everyone might be interested in this info as a
change of pace from discussing "red rain" and other ABI gel artifacts
and it give me the opportunity to wish everyone....

             Peace On Earth            -*-          Good Will to All

                                        *
                                      * * *
                                    *   * * *
                                   * *    *  *
                                 *  -*-  *   * *
                                *  *    *    *  *
                              *   *    *    -*-  *
                             * -*-     *   *  *  * *
                            *  *     -*-   *     *  *
                           *  * *    *    *     *    *
                          *   *      *    -*-  * *  * *
                         *   -*-      *    *    *      *
                        * *    *   *  *  *  *   -*-  *  *
                                       *-*
                                       *-*
        M e r r y   C h r i s t m a s   &   H a p p y   N e w   Y e a r !
!
       Chappy Channuka!  Divine Divali!  Creative Kwanzaa!  Joyous
Solstice!

Bruce A. Roe, Ph.D    Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
                      University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 73019-0370,
U.S.A.
Phone: (405) 325-4912 or 7610;  FAX: (405) 325-7762;  e-mail:  broe at ou.edu