Faded/blank regions of ABI377 gels

Matthew Binns mbinns at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 17:25:38 EST 1996

We had a problem like this (although it affected one side and the centre
of the gel). We could see the markers to about 100 bp then the other
markers were very faint.

 ABI suggested that we check the alignment of the gel plates in the
machine and to check that the notches on the plates were level. Also that
the plates were not obstructing the access of the laser to the spacers
which enable the laser to focus on the gel. On checking we found that we
had a set of plates where the notches were different heights such that
they did not sit square in the cassette, and that we also had one
cassette frame that was not square. Haven't had any problems since we
fixed these.