ABI service contracts

ir at nhm.ac.uk ir at nhm.ac.uk
Thu Mar 21 12:29:22 EST 1996

Hi

Thanks to all of you that replied to my original question. Here are
the responses I received in return.

Hope they are of use to the rest of you.

Ian

>Hi
>
>We have a year left of our current maintenance contract with PE and were
>wondering what level of service people were opting for when existing
>contracts expire.

Go for the one that covers everything.  We use our instruments nearly
around the clock and find that without full coverage it would be a
disaster.

No one should buy these machines without budgetting for a full service
contract.  There has never been a tme when I was not glad that I had full
coverage.  I have had lasers replaced, power supplies, cxircuit boards etc.

We always take the comprehensive cover, although at around 7,000K we
are not impressed with the service.  This week, in fact, we had to call
out the engineer and their response was prompt.  However, I have had
to make a nuisance of myself more than once because they have seemed
very reluctant to send an engineer out.  Furthermore, you still have
to pay for any accessories that need replacing.  In short I think
that the comprehensive cover is poor value for money and I would be
interested to know much they charge for parts and site time as I am
thinking of changing to a lower level of cover in future.

>     We have opted for the comprehensive option, on the belt and braces
>     principle (plus the fact that a new laser costs a few thousand!).
>
>     I remember Carolyn James at UMIST was asking the same question last
>     year. It may be worth contacting her to see what she did for their
>     contracts.

>        you were asking about what service cover people
>take.  I have a 373 stretch instrument and have taken
>comprehensive cover.  Yes it is very expensive, however...
>I believe the life span of the laser is 5000 hrs or so, and
>with my instrument generally running four, 15 hr runs per
>week, with some genescan stuff during the day, it seemed
>prudent to go with the comprehensive cover.  You might like
>to phone Jan Grimes at ABI in Warrington to get up to date
>prices for lasers, she organises their service contracts.
>If I remember correctly I was quoted about stlg 6000 parts and
>labour for replacement ( inc VAT ), anyway it was enough to
>convince the maintenance department to pay up.
>Hope this is of interest.

Ian Ridgers
Dept. of Zoology
The Natural History Museum