Rebuilding Desktop etc

Angela Higgins Angela.Higgins at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 22 03:39:56 EST 1996

Hi there!

I am wondering if other users of the ABI 377 have had  problems with the
analysis software.The information seems to get fragmented rather badly
through the hard disc, so on a couple of occassions we've had to rebuild
the desktop to get the computer to analyse properly. We have also
defragmented the hard disk.

The other really exciting thing that has happened is that each time I
opened up the sequencing analysis - it would make an alias of the
basecallers - so once again the computer was confused (not as much as me
though). We solved this problem by removing the "Recent Documents" file
where it was storing these basecallers and we also trashed all the old
sequence analysis files and reloaded the analysis stuff onto the computer.

Anyway the upshot of it all is that it's not a bad idea to rebuild the
desktop every so often.

The next thing is that our front warming plate decided to start scorching
from the inside out in one bottom corner and along the edge just up from
the same corner, so we've had that replaced (we've had our 377 exactly 1
year now).

It's been a fun year all in all but we've found that if anything can go
wrong it certainly will!

I like to hear from anyone who may have had similar problems.

Cheers,

Angela

Angela Higgins
Div. Botany and Zoology,