377 gels

Marc Woodland m.p.woodland at ic.ac.uk
Thu May 2 10:52:01 EST 1996

Hi  happy  sequencers,

I  would  love  to  pour  gels  for  my  377  and  leave  them  for  longer
than  6  hours -  like  overnight  !  According  to  the  bible  this  is
not  possible  for  two  reasons (1) drying  out  of  the  very  thin  gels
and (2) hydrolysis  of  urea  to  ammonium  carbonate.  Presumably  it
would  be  possible  to prevent  drying  out  by  wrapping  the   top  and
bottom of  the  gel  in  clingfilm. But  if  the gel  is  placed  in  a
cold  room is  the  rate  of  urea  hydrolysis  slowed  sufficiently    to
ensure  a  good  gel  ?  Does  anyone  have  any  ideas,  comments,  or
experience  ?  If  so  please  let      me  know.

Thanks

Marc  Woodland
Biochemistry,
Imperial  College ,