Is there an optimum fluorescense level?

Mark Mark
Mon Feb 10 09:37:37 EST 1997

Dear Autosequencers,

	I am in the process of converting a manually laborious DNA
fingerprinting method to one that makes use of standard dye-primer
labelled chemistry for detection on automated sequencers. My question
is: what is the optimal loading concentration of my dye-primer labelled
PCR fragments for an automated run? Clearly, it would seem that with
fluorescense based detection schemes you can have too little labelled
product (very weak signal) or too much (very strong signal). In either
case, the signal quantitation would be adversely affected. So there
must be an optimal amount of labelled product to load, right? Any
comments (and numerical values) would be greatly appreciated!

				Sincerely,

					Mark

--

Mark E. Berres				Birge Hall Office, Room 441
Department of Genetics  		430 Lincoln Drive