li-cor

Gabriel Gabriel
Tue Feb 11 14:16:56 EST 1997

>In article <5dnc3c$b92 at net.bio.net>,
>	Kai-Uwe Kalies, kkalies at orion.rz.mdc-berlin.de writes:
>> Hi, anyone out there,
>>
>> we are planning to buy a sequencer. We are thinking about the Li-COR
>> system.
>> Has anybody any good or bad experiences with it ?
>
>In our lab we have a Licor (long read version) and an ABI 373 with stretch
>upgrade. We routinely get around 600 bases per sample with the licor (16
>samples per gel) and around 300 bases per sample with the ABI (36 samples
>per gel).
>So, in our experience, the licor is best for long reads of a few samples
>(eg sequencing a large insert) and the ABI is best for lots of short
>sequences (eg EST sequencing).

With the PE/ABI 373Stretch and 48 cm WTR gels, 800 to 1000 bases can be
routinely obtained. Please, check out the following paper by Lario et al:
"Automated laser-induced-fluorescence DNA sequencing: equalizing
signal-to-noise  ratios significantly enhances overall performance" now at
production stage for Analytical Biochemistry (tentative publication issue:
February-March 1997).

Hope it helps.
Regards,

Gabriel Dorado

 Gabriel Dorado                               Our VAT number is:
ESQ1418001B
 Dept. Bioquimica y Biol. Mol.
 Fac. VETERINARIA                                          Tel: +(57)
218689
 14071 Cordoba                                             Fax: +(57)
218666
 SPAIN                                       InterNet Email:
bb1dopeg at uco.es
                  InterNet Web:
http://myhome.apple.com/home/welcome/Gabriel
                         *** Mime 1.0 spoken here! ***