Phil Phil
Tue Feb 11 09:21:39 EST 1997

In article <5dnc3c$b92 at>,
	Kai-Uwe Kalies, kkalies at writes:
> Hi, anyone out there,
> we are planning to buy a sequencer. We are thinking about the Li-COR
> system.
> Has anybody any good or bad experiences with it ?

In our lab we have a Licor (long read version) and an ABI 373 with stretch
upgrade. We routinely get around 600 bases per sample with the licor (16
samples per gel) and around 300 bases per sample with the ABI (36 samples
per gel).

So, in our experience, the licor is best for long reads of a few samples
(eg sequencing a large insert) and the ABI is best for lots of short
sequences (eg EST sequencing).

Phil Davey      E-mail pd at
Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you can't act stupid....