Hazy sequence & blueblobs

LHALL at fs1.scg.man.ac.uk LHALL at fs1.scg.man.ac.uk
Wed Jun 25 08:48:08 EST 1997

Dear all,

										does any one have an explanation for sequence which appears
fuzzyat the top of 377 gel files but is perfectly o.k near the
beginning; Correspondingly, the actual processed data if fine at the
beginning but then becomes dreadfull later on.
	This phenomenon started when I switched to the XL upgrade. Just
coincidence or some weird attribute of the poor fitting combs which
plague this upgrade ?

				Incidentally, I acid/alkali wash my plates very regularly, so it
isn't build up of residue.

		Secondly, does any one know what causes blue background on 377 gels. I
have asked this question before and one answer was that a build up of
blue dextran blue dye on the upper buffer chamber can sometimes be
responsible. Subsequently, I changed my upper buffer chamber and
although this has certainely reduced the frequency of this background I
still see it now and again. Any more suggestions ?
Laurence Hall,
School of Biological Sciences,
2.237 - Biomolecules,
Division of Biochemistry,
Stopford Building,
University of Manchester,
Oxford Rd,
Manchester M13 9PT,
England.

Tel. : +44 (0)161 275 6916.                E-mail :
LHALL at fs1.scg.man.ac.uk
Fax		: +44 (0)161 5082.