fading gels

MICHELLE.L.VAN.HEE at monsanto.com MICHELLE.L.VAN.HEE at monsanto.com
Wed Nov 26 17:07:24 EST 1997

Hi all,
Regarding the fading gels discussion, we have seen a fade occur in the middle of
the gel on 377s and we think it is caused by residual glycerol and/or mineral
oil in the samples.  This fade seems to affect all the samples on the gel, not
just those that have the residual oil in them.  It displays the same symptoms as
what others have been describing, but generally a little further into the
sequence.  Someone else mentioned that they traced their problem to their
plates, but we use a dishwasher with cold distilled water and it doesn't seem to
follow our plates; maybe there are two different problems with similar symptoms.
Discussion welcomed.
Michelle Van Hee
Monsanto Company
mlvanh1 at monsanto.com