premier sequence analysis software

Andy Law Andy.Law at
Thu Apr 23 12:52:41 EST 1998

In article <6hj3d0$a8s at>, John Crock <jcrock at> wrote:

 >  Our Vax operated GCG package is being shut down at our Univeristy.  I am
 >  in charge of finding a new sequence analysis package for our
 >  Department.  I am interested in knowing what is considered the premier
 >  package regardless of cost?  We want to be able to enter
 >  ABI traces directly into the program and access them from various parts
 >  of the package.  What are the genome people using?
 >  Is GCG the best?
 >  What about Intelligentics or DNAstar by lasergene?
 >  Are there others?
 >  Cost is not a factor

What you need depends on what you intend to do. Are you building huge
contigs, or sampling short ESTs and searching against the databases?
Looking for polymorphisms by sequencing multiple alleles?

I assume that you are assembling contigs by your ABI trace requirements.

A bit more info will be helpful

Andy Law
( Andy.Law at )
( Big Nose in Edinburgh )