Nelson, Thomas C. nelsont.bms.com at bms.com
Fri Feb 20 13:11:40 EST 1998

Hi,

We have several 377s that we normally run 64 lanes.  The spacers are .2mm
which is even thinner than the 373XL, so it's even harder to load.  We found a
great solution.  We use the hamilton 8 channel syringes to load the gels.  The
spacing is perfect for either 64 or 48 lane gels.  I thought it would be
difficult to use, but after I tried it I found it to be extremely easy.  I
can't believe I have not been doing it this way all along.  It takes me about
10 minutes to load a 64 lane gel, and the best part is that it is so easy,
there is no stress involved anymore.

The bad part is that the syringes are so popular, they are backordered about 3
months.  But I guarantee it is worth the wait.  The syringes used to be very
difficult to keep clean and smoothly operating, but they fixed that problem by
putting a little teflon plug on the end of the plunger which keeps it smooth.
We just rinse them well with water and they have been trouble free so far.

Hope this helps,
Tom Nelson
nelson_t at bms.com
Applied Genomics Sequencing Facility