PC program for 377 electropherograms?

James Bonfield jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 06:15:50 EST 1998

In article <6cmkp5$fue at net.bio.net> Agnes Tay <mcbtayhn at mcbsgs1.imcb.nus.edu.sg> writes:
>Dear Sequencers
>I'm posting this for a friend who runs a 377 and whose collaborators all
>use PCs. The collaborators want to view the electropherograms on their own
>PCs at leisure, so they'd like the data transferred across to them in a
>format that they can review on a PC. Does anyone have a simple soln for this?
>Thanks.

There are several programs to view ABI traces on PCs. Eg Trev (our
program) and Chromas. (There are others, but I forget the names.) I
don't have a URL for Chromas, but for Trev see

        http://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pubseq/manual/trev_1.html

Trev can be freely downloaded for Windows from

	ftp://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pub/staden/trev/trev1.1beta2-windows.zip

One advantage of Trev over Chromas is that Trev also runs on Linux,
DEC Alphas, SGIs and Suns (both SunOS 4 and Solaris) with much the
same look and feel. Chromas however has an advantage over Trev in that
it supports printing. I suggest, for an unbiased viewpoint (which mine
isn't) to try both.

	James
--
James Bonfield (jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)   Tel: 01223 402499   Fax: 01223 213556